Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Leonard Cohen 's A Thousand Kisses Deep: Recitation

One of the most beautiful points during the Leonard Cohen's concert I went to see was his reading of "A Thousand Kisses Deep." The poem is about so many things, aging, love, music, art, it has everything in it. I found an audio of Leonard Cohen reciting it and it made really happy.

I'm Good at Love
I'm Good at Hate
It's in between I freeze
Been working out but it's too late
It's been too late for years
But you look good,
You really do,
They love you on the street.
If you were here I'd kneel for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep.



The whole poem is gorgeous.

I've been a little bit obsessed with Leonard Cohen since I saw him at Coachella in April. (I've tried to channel this obsession in my tumblr posts and telling Peter about it, I believe he is a bit sick of the topic. Good thing he loves me.) In fact, he left a bigger impression on me than even seeing Paul McCartney live. I meant to write about the experience but for whatever reason, maybe for the lack of words, I have been unable to. I have read some people describe the concert, especially the performance of "Hallelujah," to be an almost religious experience. Seeing the video of the performance it reminded of the swaying palm trees, the falling dusk, Mr. Cohen with his fedora, the yellow lights of the stage, my beloved standing next to me, the whole crowd singing along with the chorus - a practice I usually abhor but gave into this time - well it's was magical and I've been hooked ever since. I'm sure this obsession will fade, but I find him (and I'm not into celebrity worship) and his music/poems comforting. It's like a father giving his child advice about life, love, and everything in between.

No comments: